“Time is what we want most, but what we use worst.”
– William Penn
In business, time is money. Business professionals work around the clock to get everything accomplished so that the business runs smoothly and deadlines are met. Time dictates the days and the work only continues to pile up despite teams working hard to keep up with the constant flow of tasks.
If you can’t seem to find the time to accomplish what you need to at work, read our blog to learn how to increase your workplace productivity. Time waits for no one, so view our tips on how to create extra time for yourself and better manage your days. Hurry, the clock is ticking!
Productivity in the Workplace
Thanks to a recent Accountemps survey, we now know when people tend to be their most productive at work. In an interesting twist, people tend to be their most productive on Tuesdays. Mondays were ranked second, followed by Wednesdays. As you may have guessed, Thursdays and Fridays tied for the least productive days in the week.
The same survey also found that business professionals tend to complete their most important tasks in the morning between the hours of 10 a.m. and noon. The study found that workers mentally check out around 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., and that their productivity skyrockets after taking a vacation.
Ways to Increase Your Productivity at Work
There are a few different ways to increase your productivity at work. Even if you only implement one or two of the following suggestions, we’re sure you’ll find the extra time you need to accomplish your goals. Check out our suggestions below to see how you can work smarter, not harder.
- Get a good seven to nine hours of sleep a night to keep yourself well rested and focused. By going to bed early, you’ll increase your concentration and eliminate any negative effects of sleep deprivation.
- Use the time you spend commuting back and forth to check and respond to emails. We also suggest scheduling a specific time each day to check your email, either in the morning or afternoon, to prevent breaking your focus.
- Begin your morning with a team meeting to review each team member’s focus for the day and what he or she needs to accomplish before the workday ends.
- Keep your desk clutter-free. By keeping your desk clean, you won’t lose important documents or feel anxious when working to a deadline.
- Aim to work for 90-minute stretches, taking a break in between segments to rejuvenate your mind. Taking regular breaks can help restore your concentration!
- Complete tasks that take one-to-two minutes right when you get in to reduce your workload and make your schedule more manageable.
- Be realistic about what you can accomplish in a day and don’t be afraid to say no! Aim to get three to five important things done a day.
- Turn off any notifications to avoid checking your phone and social media accounts throughout the day.
- Stay focused on the task at hand and give yourself a deadline to work toward so everything gets done even if it’s not technically due that day.
- Track how much time you spend doing different tasks throughout the day and avoid multitasking at all costs! Focus your attention on one thing and get it done correctly the first time by eliminating any miscommunications.
- Close your office door or wear headphones (even without music playing!) to eliminate any disruptions throughout the workday.
- Opt for healthier snacks at work to keep your energy and concentration up! Junk food, especially those which are high in sugar, can cause you to crash later on and decrease your focus.
- Exercise! If your workplace has a gym, take advantage of it and workout during your lunch hour. Even if you walk around the building at work during lunch, you’ll find that you return to your desk feeling refreshed, focused and rejuvenated.
At Recruit Mint, we’re dedicated to improving people’s lives. Operating in the commercial, industrial, technical and education sectors, we prepare job seekers and employers for the future, whether it be seeking a new job or building team morale. Contact us for more workplace tips and tricks, and see why we’re a highly rated business on Trustpilot!